Sunday, February 14, 2010

Deciding what rhizomes to plant

This year, I have the benefit of having a homebrew shop located close to my home that will have plenty of varities of hops in stock.

American Brewmaster is a shop in Raleigh, NC that has anything and everything the homebrewer would ever need. They are currently taking orders for rhizomes and they should be in sometime around the end of March.

Last year, I had a lot of success with the Magnum variety - they had a high yield, they grew great in the northern climate and they were very resistant to disease.

Now that I'm living in a different area, I need to do some research and find out which variety will fare best in the southern climate. Summers here are hot and humid, but we get plenty of sun and I've got a good watering source, so no problems there. I'll be building another raised garden bed to grow my hops because I will be dealing with a whole different mess of problems - red clay dirt, pests, etc...

I'm thinking of trying the Kent again, they were slow to come in, but they were hardy, and I'm also thinking of planting some Cascade since they seem to be the most common hop planted down here. I'll go ahead and order a few Magnum rhizomes again and see how those fair down here.

I'm excited to start this adventure again. It should be exciting to see how my experience differs than that in the north.

No comments:

Post a Comment